Pan-Fried Catfish with Salmoriglio Sauce
- SERVINGS: 4
Here's a classic American fish paired with a classic Sicilian sauce. Pour a dry, tart Italian white, such as a Soave.
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Cayenne pepper
- 4 skinless catfish fillets, (about 7 ounces each)
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- In a bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of the olive oil with the capers, garlic, oregano, mint, sugar and a pinch each of salt and pepper. In a small nonreactive saucepan, heat the lemon juice and pour it over the caper mixture.
- On a large plate, combine the flour and a pinch each of cayenne, salt and black pepper. In a large, heavy nonstick skillet, heat the remaining olive oil. Lightly coat the fish with the seasoned flour and cook in batches over moderately high heat until golden and cooked through, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Drain the fish briefly on paper towels and transfer to a platter. Pour the sauce on the fish, garnish with lemon and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.