This Healthy Dinner Recipe Is One of Joanna Gaines’ Favorites
We know that’s on the menu tonight!
Joanna Gaines is about as close to a real-life superwoman as it gets. We mean it when we say there’s nothing this business mogul, home design maven, chef, and mom-to-five can’t do. Seriously, even her beauty tips are on point!
Not surprisingly, the Fixer Upper star’s latest foray into the cookbook world was a smashing success. From her biscuits to her chocolate chip cookies, if she’s making it, we’re eating it. But Gaines doesn’t only excel at treats. The proud Texan also has plenty of healthy recipes up her sleeve. Our latest obsession? Her Grilled Salmon with Meyer Lemons and Creamy Cucumber Salad, A.K.A. her “favorite” healthy dinner.
"My family really loves both meat and poultry, but I do serve them fish occasionally as a healthy alternative, and this is one of our favorites," Gaines explains in her best-selling cookbook Magnolia Table. "This method is easy and foolproof, and it brings out the savory sweetness of salmon. You can use regular lemons here, but if you can find Meyer lemons when they’re in season (usually from winter into early spring) it’s definitely worth it to pick up a few."
Keep scrolling for Gaines’ delicious and healthy salmon recipe:
- Four 6-ounce skin-on wild-caught salmon fillets
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 1 tablespoon grated Meyer or regular lemon zest
- Juice of 2 Meyer lemons (see head note) or regular lemons, plus 1 or 2 Meyer or regular lemons, sliced into 8 thin rounds
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon pink or regular sea salt
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably Hellmann’s
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh Meyer or regular lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled in stripes, halved, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
To prepare the salmon: Brush the skin side of the salmon fillets with some olive oil. In a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, and salt. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish and place the fillets skin side up in the dish. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, prepare the creamy cucumber salad: In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, dill, salt, and pepper. Fold in the cucumber until completely coated. Taste and adjust the lemon juice or salt. Cover and refrigerate until needed, up to 2 hours.
Prepare a medium-hot grill. Lightly oil the grill grate.
Place the fillets skin side down on the grill and brush them with the marinade. Cover the grill and cook without flipping until the salmon flakes, 10 to 12 minutes. Brush the lemon slices on both sides with oil and grill until marks appear, 1 to 2 minutes per side.