More Americans Want Second Breakfast
If you double dip in the AM, you’re far from alone
Breakfast has long been described as the most important meal of the day, because starting your work or school day on a full stomach is essential for success. But what, as a Lord of the Rings character portrayed by Scottish actor Billy Boyd once famously asked, about second breakfast?
Well if you’ve ever indulged in a Hobbit’s favorite meal, you’re far from alone. According to a new survey of 2,000 Americans, second breakfast has gained some serious traction in our culinary consciousness. More than half of those polled—62 percent to be exact— said that they think second breakfast should be recognized as some sort of official meal. I’m not exactly sure what that would entail given that there’s no official body sanctioning what does or does not count as a meal, but that’s good to know.
This love of second breakfast isn’t some repressed desire, either. The poll, done on behalf of Dave’s Killer Bread by OnePoll, states that “the average American partakes in second breakfast at least once a week”. That might have something to do with the fact that 70 percent of second breakfast eaters say they feel more energized after their late-morning version of fourth meal. Presumably, the other 30 percent are just in it to treat themselves.
Watch: 3 In 1 Breakfast Station Review
While a majority of (a small sample of) Americans think that Second Breakfast deserves recognition, many of its supporters seem to feel that it’s stigmatized. Almost half of those polled felt they were “not allowed” to eat breakfast foods past 10:25 a.m., hence the apparent importance of the push for Second Breakfast acceptance.
What’s also interesting to note is that the belief about when breakfast time “ends” hasn’t seemed to stop respondents from cramming breakfast food into their mouths at all hours of the day. 43 percent of respondents admitted to eating breakfast foods for all three meals in a single day before. More than a third of those surveyed (36 percent, to be exact) said they in fact do that pretty often.
So will Americans petition congress in order to have Second Breakfast become A Thing? Who knows. But next time you have a hankering for some additional breakfast foods in the AM, don’t feel ashamed: a whole contingent of hungry American survey respondents stands with you.
This Story Originally Appeared On MyRecipes