The recipe is ok. Here are a few tips to get better results:
1. To get the golden brown color, sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar over the top of the batter before chucking it in the oven
2. The handmixer should be on medium for the eggs and low/medium for mixing the wet and dry
3. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes
4. This cake rises better in a 9" pan
5. The eggs and milk can be cold
6. You can replace the lemon zest for vanilla essence if you don't like Lemon
This was soooo good! I made it with my niece and it came out perfect with a few adjustments. I used buttermilk instead of regular milk. I also did half lemon zest and half lime zest. It took 45-50 minutes to cook all the way through and came out perfect. The 30 minutes in the recipe was way too short!
I'm not sure where I went wrong...but mine never turned brown on the top like traditional olive oil cakes, and it was not very moist and very eggy texture.