Chopped Italian Salad
• Use chopped salami or prosciutto instead of the pepperoni.
• Add some chopped pepperoncini to spice up the salad.
• Try a cup of drained and rinsed canned chickpeas instead of the artichoke hearts.
• Diced provolone cheese would make a nice addition.
• Stir in about a third of a cup of thin-sliced basil leaves.
The Piedmontese drink more of their native Barbera than they do any other wine because its crisp acidity and bright blackberry flavors are at home with so many dishes. Try a Barbera d'Alba with this salad and you may become a convert yourself.