The Ten Most Popular Dishes in the Country, According to Yelp
Spoiler alert: The country loves seafood.
So you picked a place to eat. Chances are, if you’re going out to dinner with a group, it took forever to come to a consensus. Some people want pasta, other people are gluten-free. The process almost takes the joy out of going out to eat. Once you did finally arrive at a restaurant, though, another challenge presented itself. You might have used Yelp to find the spot—if you trust reviews from the public—which takes some of the guesswork out of finding a restaurant with tasty food and good service. But now, what to order? Thanks to a new feature, released today, you can see what other people are enjoying, too.
Yelp just launched a new feature called “popular dishes,” which show which menu items Yelp users love the most.
According to a statement from the company, Yelp used “machine learning” to review the almost 155 million reviews and photos on the app to determine the best-reviewed dishes from featured restaurants (photos of the dishes will pop up at the top of the app when you click on a restaurant). That way, you won’t necessarily have to guess what’s good—other people will do the work for you. Of course, this feature is really only useful if you trust the experiences of other people who have been to the restaurant before, and there are plenty of variables involved there too—from personal taste to dumb luck (maybe the chef was just having an off day and the Greek salad is actually delicious). So while this new feature might be a helpful guide to what to eat when you go out, you might have better luck choosing a dish based on gut instinct.
To celebrate the launch of the new feature, Yelp has released its list of the top ten most popular dishes in the country, which it ranked according to user reviews. Add them to your culinary bucket list:
- New England Clam Chowder at Pike Place Chowder in Seattle, WA
- Pork Buns at Ippudo East Village in New York, NY
- Maine Lobster Roll at Neptune Oyster in Boston, MA
- Tea Leaf Salad at Burma Superstar in San Francisco, CA
- Wood Oven Roasted Pig Face at Girl & the Goat in Chicago, IL
- Crab Legs at Bacchanal Buffet in Las Vegas, NV
- Chargrilled Oysters at Acme Oyster House in New Orleans, LA
- Uni Pasta at EMC Seafood & Raw Bar in Los Angeles, CA
- Lewellyn’s Fine Fried Chicken at Yardbird Southern Table & Bar in Miami Beach, FL
- Curry Udon at Marukame Udon in Honolulu, HI