Celebrate National Taco Day with These Spice Rubbed Steak Tacos
Today is a glorious collision: Taco Tuesday and National Taco Day land on the same day. And these coffee and chili rubbed steak tacos are the perfect way to properly celebrate a day dedicated to all things deliciously wrapped in a tortilla.
Coffee Chili-Rubbed Steak Tacos
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 x1 1/2 –inch thick sirloin steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely ground espresso
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup red onions, sliced into thin half-moons
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 12 x 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 large, ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh cilantro and sliced jalapenos, to serve
Take the steak out of the fridge 1 hour before cooking, to warm it to room temperature. Combine the espresso, sugar, spices, and salt in a small dish and set aside.
In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the slaw and mix well. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, chili powder, 1 tablespoon of lime juice, and season with a pinch of salt. Mix well and set aside.
Rub the steak with the olive oil and coat it well in the spice mixture. When the pan is smoking hot, set a timer and add the steak, turning every minute for 8 minutes total (for steak cooked medium-rare). Transfer the cooked steak to a plate, pour the pan juices over the beef, and let it rest for at least 6 minutes. Thinly slice the steak against the grain, and pour over all of those gorgeous juices hanging out on the plate.
Serve up your tacos with the prepared slaw, spiked sour cream, steak, feta, sliced avocado, jalapenos, and cilantro.