Non-Americans Reveal Their 17 Favorite Foods They Can't Get Outside of the U.S.
Who knew that gas station beef jerky had a global following?
It's no secret that people who don't live in America have ... feelings about America. For example, American tourists have developed somehwat of a reputation abroad, among restaurant workers, for a few distinctive behaviors, like extra-loud conversations and asking for extra protein on dishes that aren't supposed to have extra protein.
And yet, people around the world appreciate some things about the U.S.A., namely food things. A new AskReddit thread posed the question: "Non-Americans, what’s your favorite American food you can’t get in your country?" and the results were enthusiastic and surprising, to say the least. (The thread strikes a far different tone than this one, which highlighted the American foods people despite.)
Here, some surprising American delicacies that non-Americans love:
1. "I ran into a guy from the U.K. who couldn't get enough of gas station beef jerky. He talked about how good it was for a solid 10 minutes."
2. "Those $1 huge cans of iced tea."
3. "There’s a few, but the ultimate is Dippin’ Dots. Holy shit, that ice cream was awesome, and I miss it everyday."
4. "Ice for my drinks."
5. "Velveeta, Mountain Dew, Twinkies, giant snow crab legs from Costco and Ring Pops."
6. "Australian here. I have dreams about eating another everything bagel."
7. "Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing/dip. My mum made the dip every Christmas. We had to wait for someone to travel to the U.S. to get us a load."
8. "A&W is the nicest fast food place I've ever been. We need that and IHOP."
9. "Reeses anything."
11. "Mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce! Ugh, I loved that when I went to the States. I came back to Australia and cannot find them anywhere!"
12. "Sour Patch watermelons honestly arouse me."
13. "Waffle fries from Chick-Fil-A."
14. "Ho Hos. I've tried them once and have had a want for them ever since then."
15. "Big Red gum. You can get it here in the UK, but for several pounds. I wish it was readily available everywhere."
16. "BISCUITS AND GRAVY. F*** AUSTRALIA AND ITS LACK OF PROPER SOUTHERN STYLE BUTTERY FLUFFY BISCUITS AND WHITE SAUSAGE GRAVY."
17. "Canadian here. I drive to the states specifically for Beecher’s cheese and Tillamook cheese, which are not available in Canada (that I have seen anyway). I also stock up on butter because American Costco sells butter in half cup portions, which are not available at home... and the cost even with the exchange rate is still cheaper in the States. Proud to have a freezer full of American butter."
18. "American pancakes. Doughnuts. Basically diner food! I want American diners in Norway!"
19. "Takis Fuego or whatever those chips are called. MAN I miss those."
20. "I can't find dirty rice mix anywhere where I live. It's hard to find Cajun food ingredients in general."
21. "American Corn Pops cereal is vastly superior to Canadian."
Posts have been edited for length and clarity.