Food & Wine Magazine Selects Best American Wines in Prestigious Annual Awards
New York, NY (September 5, 2007) - Long Shadows in Washington State was named Winery of the Year in Food & Wine magazine’s 10th annual American Wine Awards, Editor in Chief Dana Cowin announced today.
Every year, F&W editors and a panel of wine experts select the best American wines from under and over $20 in eight categories, from Sauvignon Blanc to Syrah. This year’s list of winners, which is featured in the October 2007 issue, is packed with many unexpected choices, including a top Chardonnay from Oregon.
“Food & Wine’s American Wine Award list is an invaluable wine-buying resource,” says Cowin. “I use it to know what to buy in a store, as well as to stay on top of the emerging trends.”
Cowin adds, “This year, we noticed three major trends. More and more winemakers are using purchased grapes rather than estate-grown fruit for more flexibility and greater value; for the first time ever an unoaked Chardonnay came out on top; and Napa and Sonoma continue to see more competition from up-and-coming wine regions like Santa Inez.”
Food & Wine American Wine Awards 2007
WINERY OF THE YEAR:
Long Shadows in Walla Walla, Washington
WINEMAKER OF THE YEAR:
Robert Foley at Robert Foley Vineyards in Napa, California
WINE IMPORTER OF THE YEAR:
Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant in Berkeley, California
BEST WINES $20 AND UNDER:
- Sauvignon Blanc: 2006 Westerly Vineyards ($19)
- Chardonnay: 2006 Chehalem Inox ($19)
- Pinot Noir: 2005 Au Bon Climat Santa Barbara Country ($20)
- Merlot: 2004 Praxis ($15)
- Cabernet Sauvignon: 2004 Edge ($20)
- Zinfandel: 2005 Joel Gott California ($17)
- Syrah: 2005 Andrew Murray Vineyards Tous Les Jours ($16)
BEST WINES OVER $20:
- Sauvignon Blanc: 2006 Rochioli ($35)
- Chardonnay: 2004 HdV Carneros ($55)
- Pinot Noir: 2003 Calera Selleck ($60)
- Merlot: 2004 Shafer Napa Valley ($45)
- Cabernet Sauvignon: 2004 Shafer Vineyards One Point Five ($65)
- Zinfandel: 2005 Robert Biale Vineyards Black Chicken ($40)
- Syrah: 2005 Alban Vineyards Reva ($74)
- Bordeaux-Style Blend: 2003 Rubicon Estate Rubicon ($115)
The winners will be celebrated at a party at the de Young Museum in San Francisco on October 10. For more information about these winners or to interview an editor about wine trends, contact Lori Lefevre at 212-827-6403 or email@example.com.
Food & Wine is the modern, stylish, trend-spotting, talent-seeking epicurean magazine. Published by American Express Publishing, the leader in luxury lifestyle magazines, Food & Wine has a circulation of approximately 950,000.