Modernist Cuisine: A Photo Tour
Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking
"I outdid myself," says Nathan Myhrvold, the author of Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking, his exhaustive 2,438-page, six-volume cookbook. That's quite a statement coming from Microsoft's former chief technology officer, who researched cosmology with Stephen Hawking and writes scholarly paleontology articles almost as a hobby. $377; amazon.com
Myhrvold's team bisected a wok to examine what happens to pad thai as it cooks.
Sous Vide Egg Yolks
Egg yolks cooked sous vide to different temperatures result in a range of textures.
Golden Enoki Mushrooms
Golden enoki mushrooms are one of many ingredients pictured in their natural state.
Beef Short Rib with Crispy Beef Salad
Sous vide beef short rib pairs with crispy beef salad and a sweet-pungent glaze.
The Perfect Hamburger
Myhrvold considered every component to come up with his modernist version:
- Tender hamburgerbun, made from scratch and toasted in beef suet.
- Hamburgerglaze of suet, pureed tomato confit, beef stock and smoked salt.
- Maitakemushroom, sautéed in beef suet.
- Romainelettuce infused sous vide with liquid hickory smoke.
- Vacuum-compressed heirloomtomato.
- Cheese slice made from aged Emmental, Comté and wheat ale.
- Short ribpatty ground to vertically align the grain.
- Cremini mushroomketchup with honey, horseradish, fish sauce, ginger and allspice.