Step away from those watered down, pre-mixed, sugary margaritas and put down the standard Mexican beer. This year, actually drink something worthy of a celebration with this super spicy, seriously tasty Cinco De Mayo cocktails.
Bebito from Ward III, NYC
This cocktail was created by our bartender Julio Xoxocotla, who has a magical touch with tequila. It was created for our new spring/summer cocktail list. The interplay between spicy and sweet with just a touch of bitter makes it a perfect summer sipper.
- 2 oz Pueblo Viejo Tequila
- 1 oz pineapple
- ½ oz lime
- ½ oz simple syrup
- ½ oz Aperol
- 4 dashes jalapeño tincture
- 4-5 mint leaves for garnish
Combine all ingredients in mixing glass
Shake all ingredients with ice
Strain into Collins glass over fresh ice
Garnish with mint sprig
Fire & Smoke, Courtesy of The Owl's Brew
This tea-based cocktail recipe was created by Jennie Ripps (a certified Tea Sommelier) and Maria Littlefiled, founders of The Owl’s Brew. Wicked Green is made with a blend of green tea, lemon, lime and habanero. If mezcal isn't your thing, try this cocktail with tequila or vodka.
- 2 parts The Owl’s Brew “Wicked Green”
- 1 part Mezcal
Shake ingredients over ice and pour into a coupe. Garnish with a lime wedge.
Amante Picante Margarita
This spicy margarita combines three savory ingredients: jalapeno, cilantro and cucumber.
- 1/2 large seedless English cucumber, thinly sliced, plus 8 slices for garnish
- 1/2 medium jalapeño, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 18 ounces silver tequila
- 8 ounces fresh lime juice
- 6 ounces light agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery bitters (optional)
- 1 lime wedge
- 1/4 cup kosher salt mixed with 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
In a pitcher, muddle the 1/2 sliced cucumber with the jalapeño and 1/4 cup of cilantro. Add the tequila, lime juice, agave and bitters and stir well. Refrigerate until chilled, 1 hour.
Moisten the rim of 8 rocks glasses with the lime wedge and coat with the lime salt. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Working in batches and adding fresh ice, shake the cocktail and strain into the glasses. Garnish with cucumber and cilantro.