There are many kinds of Howlers in the Harry Potter universe and receiving one is never a good thing. The menacing letters carry messages of varying tones, and while Red Howlers can be quite literally explosive in temperament, it's the calm-yet-stern Howler that may sometimes deliver the most damage.
If you're ready to head back to the Harry Potter universe with Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, make up these edible Howlers for a fun pre-movie treat. They probably won't talk back, but it's best to gobble them up before you give them a chance. Made with eggroll wrappers and a delightful pumpkin mascarpone filling, these bundles are irresistible and can make even the most dreadful message seem palatable.
Harry Potter Pumpkin Howlers
- 12 eggroll wrappers
- 3 eggroll wrappers cut into fourths
- 1 egg plus 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- Oil for frying
- Black icing
- Red icing
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
1. In a bowl stir together the mascarpone cheese, pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
2. Place an eggroll wrapper down with the point side up. Add a Tablespoon of filling in the center.
3. On one of the cut fourths dab egg wash around the edges and place over the filling, pressing to seal. Add more egg wash around the edges of the large eggroll wrapper and pull all the points into the center to form and envelope shape.
4. Heat oil in a heavy skillet to 350 degrees.
5. Fry the envelopes a few minutes on each side until golden brown. Let drain on a wire rack.
6 When cool, use a #5 tip and black icing to pipe the eyes and a #7 tip to pipe the lips in red icing to serve.