11 Ways to Use Peaches
When you’re ready for more than just pies, crisps, cobblers and crumbles, try one of these 11 ways to use peaches.
A juicy peach eaten right over the sink is sheer summer perfection. And yet. And yet, sometimes we’re lucky to have so many that we need other ways to eat (and drink) them. When you’re ready for more than just pies, crisps, cobblers and crumbles, try one of these 11 ways to use peaches.
1. Sangria. Put your feet up and have a lazy afternoon with this mango-peach sangria.
2. Soup. Save this vinegar–spiked chilled soup for the steamiest days.
3. Grill them. How do you make a peach even more spectacular? Char it on the grill to caramelize its sugars and give it a slightly smoky flavor. Then throw them into salads (like this one with bacon and onions or another with tomatoes and radicchio). Or, serve them for dessert with mascarpone or ice cream, or muddle them for cocktails. (Can you say smoky peach old-fashioned?)
4. Chutney or relish. These condiments are like jam, but for savory dishes. Spread the peach chutney on grilled cheese (or use it anywhere you’d use mango chutney). Or make a deliciously funky Vietnamese-inspired relish and serve it with shrimp. (You can also lose the fish sauce in the relish and call it a salsa.)
5. Pork-wrapped. Wrap your peaches in pancetta or bacon and skillet-cook them. Or wrap them in prosciutto, no cooking required.
6. Kaiserschmarrn. We’re not sure whether it’s more fun to say or to eat but either way, try this light Austrian pancake for breakfast or dessert.
8. Ice cream. Churn peaches in a maple-syrup sweetened ice cream base. Eat, and sigh with happiness.
9. Ice cream soda. Add fresh peach puree to lemony soda water along with a scoop of ice cream for the ultimate summer float.
10. Poached. Gently cook peaches in an herb-infused syrup for a sophisticated dessert that couldn’t be simpler.
11. Tart. Instead of a fear-inducing pastry crust, make this simple tart with vanilla cookies and smoky almonds, which are absolutely delicious with peaches.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.