Credit: Vintage Images

Calling all jet setters - want to know how to tie one on when you're abroad? Well it might be helpful to know how to talk about it. After all, how can you get properly blootered if you go around ordering a two-four when what you're really looking for is a Texas mickey?


If you're going to England sometime soon, you may be looking to get pissed, trollied, or rat-arsed, which all pretty much just mean drunk. Granted, you can basically just toss an -ed at the end of any word and it'll mean the same.

But be careful - if you do happen to drink a bit too much then you might chunder (puke) all over everything.

Australia and New Zealand

If you find yourself down under, you may want to head to a bottle-o, a liquor store, to pick up a slab, a twenty-four pack of beer, or some plonk, the kind of cheap wine that high school students buy with fake IDs.

If it's your shout at the bar, it means this round's on you. Once you've got your beer, if you drink it all in one gulp, then you've just skulled it.


In Scotland, you've got a whole spectrum of how drunk you can be. You might just be a little gubbed, or you might have a couple more drinks and get guttered, steamin', or maroc (short for miraculous). If you're really going hard, you might even end up blootered, mad wi't, or stocious.


If you're going to be having people over in Canada, you might want to grab a two-four, a.k.a a 24-pack of beer. Or, if liquor is more your speed, you may want a mickey, which, no, is not as criminal as it sounds. It's a 375ml bottle of liquor. If moderation just isn't your style, you could opt instead for a Texas mickey, which is a whopping three liters of hard alcohol. That's almost two handles!

Just don't go around being a pull or a boot. They mean the same thing, but pull is what they call it in Alberta and boot is the Saskatchewan term. Both refer to someone who'll buy alcohol for someone who isn't legal yet.


If you find yourself at a sesh in Ireland, a group of young people drinking together, you may want to bring a naggin of vodka (a 200 ml bottle), or maybe a shoulder (a 350ml). If anyone asks you if you fancy a few scoops, they're asking if you want to drink with them.

What if you're getting fluthered, drunk, at a pub? If you're looking for Guinness, you'll want to order a pint of the black stuff, and, if you want a vodka/coke, order a volvo. To toast: Sláinte!