10 Ways to Use Mustard
Just because hot dog season is nearly at an end doesn’t mean the mustard needs to languish in your fridge. Here are 10 ways to use it this fall.
1. Vinaigrette. A mustard dressing is a classic on tender greens, but it’s also delicious with sweet roasted parsnips and turnips or a zippy coleslaw. To make a rich mustard dressing without much oil, bake it first. Yes, bake the mustard.
3. Pasta. To add acidity to a cream sauce for pasta, add a few spoonfuls of grainy mustard.
4. Mashed potatoes. To cut through the richness of mashed potatoes, add some mustard. Then sprinkle bacon on top.
6. Mussels. Swirl mustard into lager-steamed mussels and garnish with dill.
7. Butter. Blend mustard with butter and lemon for an awesome topping for toasts.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and author of the forthcoming The Modern Potluck (Clarkson Potter, 2016). She is also the cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.