Food & Wine's Best New Chefs 2015
Carlos Salgado, Taco María (Costa Mesa, CA)
Growing up on Mexican food, Carlos Salgado is using his expertise to create exceptional dishes at Taco María while still honoring his family's cooking.
Bryce Shuman, Betony (New York City)
F&W's 2015 Best New Chef Bryce Shuman employs flavors, techniques and ingredients from all over the world, with a special interest in ancient grains.
Grae Nonas and Michael Fojtasek, Olamaie (Austin)
Michael Fojtasek and Grae Nonas are an unlikely duo. But when the two chefs began working together at Los Angeles fish restaurant Son of a Gun, they found a common bond in an unlikely place: vintage cookbooks.
- How Michael Fojtasek and Grae Nonas Bonded over Vintage Cookbooks
- Grae Nonas Lands in Minneapolis, Embraces His "Viking" Heritage
- Crab Salad with Corn Pudding and Carolina Gold Rice
- Cucumber Salad with Buttermilk Dressing and Pickled Onion
- Tomato Salad with Tomato Water Granita
- The Most Brilliant Mac & Cheese Hack Ever
- The Five Commandments for Making Perfect Biscuits
- Where to Eat and Drink in Amsterdam
Ori Menashe, Bestia (Los Angeles)
Ori Menashe is keeping the masses fed with his incredible SoCal-influenced antipasti, pizzas and pasta at this downtown L.A. restaurant Bestia.
- Ori Menashe's Life in Six Scenes
- Burrata Salad with Peaches, Pickled Pepper and Pea Tendrils
- Butterflied Shrimp with Pistachios and Orange-Saffron Vinaigrette
- Fig and Arugula Salad with Grated Frozen Gorgonzola Piccante
Jim Christiansen, Heyday (Minneapolis)
Jim Christiansen is that rare cook who has both McDonald’s and Noma on his résumé. He's also interned at Noma in Copenhagen and made elegant French food at La Belle Vie in Minneapolis.
Jonathan Brooks, Milktooth (Indianapolis)
Fun fact: Jonathan Brooks is the first chef to ever win F&W's Best New Chef award without serving dinner. Breakfast and brunch are the mission with his restaurant Milktooth, which is only open until 3 p.m.
Katie Button, Cúrate (Asheville, NC)
F&W's 2015 Best New Chef Katie Button started her culinary career as the first American server at El Bulli and later scored the nearly impossible-to-get position in the restaurant's pastry kitchen. With her restaurant Cúrate, she’s now proud to bring the Adrià spirit to the North Carolina hills.
Jake Bickelhaupt, 42 grams (Chicago)
2015 F&W Best New Chef Jake Bickelhaupt is creating gorgeous, complicated and delicious dishes with mulitple interwoven components, and all within the 200-square-foot space of his restaurant 42 Grams.
Tim Maslow, Strip-T's (Watertown, MA)
Tim Maslow’s restaurant Strip T's was once his father's dying diner. Today, it is a popular restaurant serving a mash-up of Italian, American and Asian cuisine.
Zoi Antonitsas, Westward (Seattle)
F&W's 2015 Best New Chef Zoi Antonitsas dropped out of art school before she discovered another career: cooking. Today, she prepares delicious Greek-influenced dishes, but she is still an artist at heart.