8 Sauces for Baked Eggs
Baking eggs is a super-easy way to cook them, but since very little fat is involved, it’s best to add some flavor with a delicious sauce. Here are eight excellent options.
1. Salsa verde. Whether you go with the tangy Mexican tomatillo version or the chunky, pungent Italian version, zingy salsa verdes are delicious with baked eggs. If you like, you can actually bake the eggs in the Mexican salsa or serve it alongside; the Italian version is best as a condiment.
2. Tomato sauce. Known as eggs in purgatory in Italy and shakshuka throughout the Middle East, eggs baked in tomato sauce is a popular comfort-food dish. For a more substantial dish, bake the eggs and tomato sauce with bread cubes and bacon.
3. Avocado hollandaise. Not only is the real stuff fussy to make, but it’s a brunch cliché. This three-ingredient riff, however, is delicious, super-simple and packed with healthy fats.
4. Pepper puree. Roast peppers and garlic cloves until sweet and silky, then peel both and puree for a luscious sauce to serve over baked eggs.
5. Piri piri sauce. Eggs and hot sauce are meant to be. This tangy, spicy chile sauce takes the combo to the next level.
7. Pesto. There are seemingly infinite ways to make pesto, and believe it or not, all are good with baked eggs.
8. Kimchi. Whether homemade or store-bought in a bag or jar, the garlicky, spicy Korean pickle is an awesome condiment to serve alongside baked eggs.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and author of the forthcoming The Modern Potluck (Clarkson Potter, 2016). She is also the cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.