5 Low Fat Tips for Cooking Meat
These principles apply to all cuts of meat, but are most important for cuts that have less fat to tenderize them.
* Get more flavor from oil-based marinades by first sautéing onions, chiles or spices in the oil.
* Don't let meat sit too long in highly acidic marinades or it will get chewy.
* Salt meat lightly or not at all before cooking, so juices won't be drawn out.
* Sear steaks over high heat. Low-fat roasts should also be cooked at a high temperature.
* Keep the heat low when braising or stewing; if the meat boils, it toughens.
Return to Cooking Lean