In greengrocers’ and farmers’ markets around the country, signs of spring are all around. Make good use of the fresh, vibrant new vegetables and fruits with these 100+ spring recipes from F&W.
Spring Fruits & Vegetables
- Fava Beans
« This vibrant stew showcases white asparagus, fresh cranberry beans, scallions and fresh herbs.
- Spring Vegetable Stew
- Spring Vegetables with Pickled Onions
- Creamy Spring Onion Soup
- Garlic-Rubbed Pork Shoulder with Spring Vegetables
- Spring Pea Falafel with Marinated Radishes and Minted Yogurt
« Grilling apricots brings out their sweetness and adds a delicious smokey flavor.
- Grilled Apricots with Burrata, Country Ham and Arugula
- Apricot-Tarragon Cocktail Cookies
- Honey-Roasted Apricots with Amaretti Cookies
- Spicy Apricot Chicken Wings
- Rice with Duck and Apricots
« The nutty flavor of steamed artichokes is especially delicious with a smoky, herb-flecked mayonnaise.
- Artichokes with Smoked-Herb Mayonnaise
- Chicken Breasts with Artichoke-Olive Sauce
- Farro with Artichokes and Herb Salad
- Chicken Tagine with Artichoke Hearts and Peas
- Roasted Artichokes and Prosciutto
« This sauce—made with cream, ginger, garlic and chiles—is a superflavorful dressing for fresh asparagus.
- Singaporean Sautéed Asparagus
- Herbed Fazzoletti with Asparagus and Burrata
- Asparagus with Eggs and Pumpernickel Crumbs
- Mushroom Kufteh with Green Harissa and Asparagus Pesto
- Asparagus with Watercress and Brown Butter Potatoes
« This tangy, luscious soup is an excellent make-ahead dish: Simply puree everything except the garnish, then chill.
- Spicy Avocado-Cucumber Soup
- Pumpernickel with Avocado, Charred Corn and Tomato
- Avocado, Orange and Jicama Salad
- Tuna Ceviche with Avocado and Cilantro
- Cumin-Glazed Ribs with Avocado-Pineapple Salsa
« Dan Barber’s brilliant recipe makes braised carrots the star and lamb the accompaniment.
- Braised Carrots with Lamb
- Roasted Carrot and Cumin Puree
- Pork Chops with Quick-Pickled Carrots
- Grilled Baby Carrot Wraps with Poblano Cream
- Classic Carrot Cake with Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
« Pinch Food Design chef Bob Spiegel loves to rethink classic combinations, like this architectural take on blini and caviar.
- Mini Blini Napoleons
- Herb Salad
- Mustard-Glazed Black Cod with Fingerlings and Chive Puree
- Polenta with Chives
- Thai Chicken Stew with Potato-Chive Dumplings
« Paul Kahan braises chicken in beer to make an excellent spring stew that makes great use of fava beans.
- Chicken Stew with Fava Beans and Peas
- Bruschetta with Smashed Fresh Favas
- Charred Fava Bean Salad
- Lamb Chops with Fava Beans and Potato Gnocchi
- Quinoa Salad with Grilled Scallions, Favas and Dates
« Jeff Cerciello tosses fresh spring vegetables with a lightly tangy crème fraîche and poppy seed dressing.
- Cabbage, Cucumber and Fennel Salad with Dill
- Fennel-Garlic Pork Roast
- Chilled Fennel-Grapefruit Velouté with Lemon Olive Oil
- Salmon Steaks with Curried Fennel-Wine Sauce
- Zucchini-and-Fennel Soup
« Leeks lend their delicious flavor to braised chicken in this elegant but easy-to-make dish.
- Vinegar-Braised Chicken with Leeks and Peas
- Stir-Fried Pork with Leeks
- Grilled Oysters with Tabasco-Leek Butter
- Buttery Leeks with Thyme
- Fusilli with Creamed Leek and Spinach
« Yigit Pura’s crisp-creamy French dessert combines little lime meringue kisses with basil ice cream and sweet mango sorbet.
- Mango-Basil Vacherin
- Barbecued Salmon with Green Mango Salad
- Carrot-Mango Lassi
- Squid in Tamarind Brown Butter with Green Mango
- Thai Crab-and-Green-Mango Salad
« This pea soup from chef Daniel Humm gets a topping of intensely mushroomy, supremely rich morel cream, then topped with whole morels.
- Garden Pea Soup with Morel Cream
- Roast Beef Tenderloin with Morel Cream Sauce
- Roasted Herb Chicken with Morels and Watercress Salad
- Cheese Grits with Morel Ragout
- Golden Mashed Potatoes with Morels and Baked Eggs
« When spring finally arrives, chef Mike Lata uses delicate peas and pea shoots to make this simple side dish.
- Peas and Pea Shoots with Spring Onions and Mint
- Blistered Snap Peas with Mint
- Pea Porridge with Fresh Cheese and Ham
- Cucumber and Baby Pea Salad
- Pea-and-Bacon Risotto
« Pineapple stars in Andrew Carmellini’s playful version of pork fried rice.
- Pork-and-Pineapple Fried Rice
- Coconut Pudding with Pineapple and Candied Cashews
- Free-Form Pineapple, Mango and Berry Tarts
- Jerk Pork Tenderloin with Pineapple Salsa
- Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
« José Andrés says, ”If you have some potatoes, green beans and cauliflower, you have a heck of a dish that can feed an entire family.“
- Garlicky Potatoes, Green Beans and Cauliflower
- Breakfast Potato Soup
- Crispy Potato Galette with Smoked Fish and Dill Crème
- Potatoes Lyonnaise with Lemon and Chile
- Potato-and-Wild-Salmon Cakes
« Grace Parisi’s flaky, sweet strawberry-rhubarb pie is classic and satisfying.
- Deep Dish Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
- Braised Pork Shoulder with Rhubarb and Peas
- Rhubarb-Cheese Strudel with Vanilla Sauce
- Sautéed Salmon with Rhubarb Marmalade
- Tapioca and Rhubarb Parfait
« Mauricio Couly wraps a mix of spring spinach, fava beans, green beans and mint in his paprika-spiced empanada dough.
- Spinach-and-Green-Pea Empanadas
- Eggs Baked Over Sautéed Mushrooms and Spinach
- Grilled Polenta with Spinach and Robiola Cheese
- Lamb-and-Spinach-Stuffed Onions
- Stracciatella with Spinach
« Steve Sicinski’s salad combines plenty of vibrant-tasting ingredients, like watercress, pomegranate and orange, so a little goes a long way.
- Beet Salad with Watercress and Fresh Pecorino
- Jicama, Citrus and Watercress Salad
- Cabbage, Watercress and Pine Nut Dumplings
- Hotel Russel Erskine Watercress Salad
- Watercress Salad with Verjus Vinaigrette