Low-Fat Meat Cooking Tips
These principles apply to all cuts of meat, but are most important for cuts that have less fat to tenderize them.
- Get more flavor from oil-based marinades by first sautéing onions, chiles or spices in the oil.
- Don’t let meat sit too long in highly acidic marinades or it will get chewy.
- Salt meat lightly or not at all before cooking, so juices won’t be drawn out.
- Sear steaks over high heat. Low-fat roasts should also be cooked at a high temperature.
- Keep the heat low when braising or stewing; if the meat boils, it toughens.