Steve Raichlen: Venetian Shrimp

Steve Raichlen demonstrates his recipe for Venetian Shrimp with Bread Crumbs and Sage at the 2008 Food & Wine classic in Aspen.

Steve Raichlen demonstrates his recipe for Venetian Shrimp with Bread Crumbs and Sage at the 2008 Food & Wine classic in Aspen.

Read the transcript of this video
[MUSIC] Of course I found the one restaurant, the only restaurant in Venice that has a charcoal burning grill. It's called Da Ivo. They have a Grill that burns olive wood charcoal. So this recipe comes from [UNKNOWN]. Venetian style grilled shrimp. It's a little bit unusual in that it's crusted with bread crumbs, and that's a technique you normally would associate with pan frying rather than grilling. It looks something like this. We have here first a fresh sage leaf and then shrimp which we will skewer, shrimp neatly butterflied. We'll put another sage leaf on. And even as I'm doing this I'm thinking maybe well in Croatia they do this but instead of using sage leafs they use dalmatian ham which is a kind of a smoked Like a smoked prosciutto, that'd be pretty fabulous. Or you could use sun-dried tomatoes, or this could be chicken maybe with slices of jalapeno chili or Chipotle in between. First of all, I'm gonna lightly brush the shrimp on both sides with extra virgin olive oil. The Italians are fabulous grillers and there's an interesting thing about Italian grilling and that is much of it takes place inside in the winter. Italians have been grilling indoors for literally 2,000 years. What we'll do now, fold a paper towel in three or four To make a little pad, this is a grill oiler. If you've ever watched my show you know we have a little mantra about direct grilling, it goes keep it hot, keep it clean, keep it lubricated. We have oiled and seasoned the shrimp, the next thing I wanna do is simply crust it. Okay. In bread crumbs, here are our grilled shrimp. Cooking time is really quick. It's about, let me give you that. Two to three minutes per side. We're just looking for golden brown. The shrimp will sorta become white and crusty and golden brown. And if you are so inclined you can certainly do a little dominus fobiscum like this. Okay, so that's all there is to the shrimp. Now we want to make a very simple sauce for the shrimp it's called a salsa verde meaning a simple green sauce and it starts With a little bit of finely chopped garlic. [BLANK_AUDIO] Okay, and some chopped fresh parsley, freshly ground black pepper, coarse sea salt, and last of all we'll whisk in some olive oil and a little lemon juice. So it's Absolutely super simple, as all Italian grilling is. And then this is not in your recipe, but I thought this morning, a little lemon juice might make a welcome addition. By the way, grilling is what about 98% of the world does when it lights up charcoal or wood, it grills. And the other sort of 2% is barbecue which is indirect lower heat, smoky heat, and always in the presence of a lot of wood smoke. Just before serving these, probably what I would do is spoon a little of the salsa verde over each shrimp. Super simple. This is about as complicated as Italian grilling ever gets. [APPLAUSE] [BLANK_AUDIO]
Sponsored Stories
Steve Raichlen: Venetian Shrimp


Advertisement