- 1 3/4 pound boneless beef chuck, cut into 3-by-1-inch strips
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 squares of focaccia, split
- Slices of tomato and red onion
How to make this recipe
- In a bowl, toss the meat with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Coarsely grind the meat in a grinder and shape into 1 1/4-inch-thick patties; work quickly so that the meal remains chilled.
- Light a grill or heat a grill pan or a cast-iron skillet. Season the burgers with salt and pepper and grill or pan-fry over moderately high heat, turning once, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare or until done to your liking. Let rest for 2 minutes, then serve with the focaccia with the tomato and red onion.
Burgers call for a red wine with plenty of fruitiness to wrap around the meaty taste. Look for a lusty young Australian Shiraz.