Zucchini "Sandwiches" with Herbed Goat Cheese
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 8 hors d'oeuvre servings
Plus: More Appetizer Recipes and Tips
- 2 large zucchini (about 10 ounces each), halved crosswise
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 pound soft mild goat cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted Calamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Light a grill. Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, slice the zucchini lengthwise 1/4 inch thick. Grill the zucchini over high heat, turning once, until barely tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer the zucchini to a wire rack and refrigerate until chilled. Meanwhile, grill the bell pepper until blackened all over. Transfer the bell pepper to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel the pepper and cut it into very thin strips.
- In a bowl, mash the goat cheese until smooth. Stir in the olives, basil, mint, parsley, tarragon, olive oil, capers, lemon zest and pepper. Season with salt.
- Transfer half of the zucchini slices to a work surface and pat dry if necessary. Spread each one with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the herbed goat cheese and top with the remaining zucchini slices. Season lightly with salt and garnish each sandwich with a strip of roasted red pepper.