Zucchini Latkes with Red Pepper Jelly and Smoked Trout
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes about 4 dozen 1 1/2-inch latkes
"My mom used to make zucchini fritters on the Jewish holidays," says Rachel Klein. Klein's latke version is unexpected and delicious, especially with red pepper jelly and smoked trout.
- 1 pound medium zucchini
- 1 large baking potato (3/4 pound), peeled
- 1 small onion (4 ounces), peeled
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup red pepper jelly
- 3 ounces skinless smoked trout fillet, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces golden trout roe (see Note)
- 3 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- Halve the zucchini crosswise. Cut the zucchini flesh off the seedy center and coarsely grate it in a food processor. Or grate it on a box grater until you reach the seedy center. Discard the center. In a food processor or on a box grater, coarsely grate the potato and onion. Transfer the grated zucchini, potato and onion to a colander and squeeze dry. Let stand for 2 minutes, then squeeze again. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large bowl. Add the matzo meal, egg, lemon juice, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil until shimmering. Drop packed teaspoons of the zucchini mixture into the skillet and flatten them with the back of a spoon. Cook the latkes over moderately high heat until the edges are golden, about 1 1/2 minutes; flip and cook until golden on the bottom, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining zucchini mixture, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.
- Arrange the latkes on a platter and top each one with a dollop of sour cream and a little red pepper jelly, smoked trout and golden trout roe; sprinkle with the scallion greens. Serve warm.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.