Zucchini Fritters with Deep-Fried Capers
- SERVINGS: 6
The tangy caper and rich crème fraîche accompaniments balance these salty fritters nicely, but lemon wedges would make an easy alternative.
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 1 medium zucchini (about 1/2 pound), coarsely grated
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche
- In a colander set in the sink, toss the zucchini with 1 teaspoon of salt; let drain for 20 minutes. Squeeze the zucchini, a handful at a time, to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of ground pepper. Add the zucchini, onion, milk and egg and stir until smooth. Let the batter rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, heat 3/4 inch of vegetable oil until shimmering. Pat the capers dry with paper towels. Add them to the oil and fry until crisp, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the capers to paper towels to drain.
- Scoop scant tablespoonfuls of the fritter batter into the hot oil, without crowding, and fry until crisp and golden all over, about 2 minutes per side. Drain the fritters on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Top each fritter with a scant teaspoon of crème fraîche and a few fried capers and serve right away.