Zucchini Bread French Toast with Maple-Bourbon Butter
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
You can also use store-bought zucchini bread to make this extravagant dessert, topped with ice cream and a sweet bourbon-spiked butter sauce.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Zucchini Bread, ends trimmed, cut into 8 slices
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons (5 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- Pinch of salt
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cream, milk, eggs, vanilla extract and confectioners' sugar until blended. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Add the zucchini bread slices and let soak, turning once, until saturated, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine 1 stick of the butter with the maple syrup, bourbon and salt and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in each of 2 large nonstick skillets. Drain the zucchini bread. Add the slices to the skillets and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until golden and firm to the touch, about 15 minutes.
- Arrange the zucchini French toast on 8 plates. Top with a scoop of ice cream and spoon the hot maple-bourbon butter on top.
With the French toast's maple and bourbon flavors, try a sweet, soft Australian fortified wine, like a Tokay.