- SERVINGS: Makes 1 drink
As the story goes, Ernest Beaumont-Gantt created this potent drink in the 1930s and named it for its mind-altering effect after a friend consumed three of them. This lower-proof version is made with Velvet Falernum, an almond-and-lime-flavored liqueur that's a key ingredient in many tiki drinks.
- 1 1/2 ounces amber rum
- 1/2 ounce dark rum
- 1/2 ounce 151-proof rum
- 3/4 ounce fresh pineapple juice
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Velvet Falernum
- 1/2 ounce brown sugar simple syrup (brown sugar dissolved in equal part simmering water and cooled)
- Mint sprig, for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all of the liquids and stir well. Strain into an ice-filled tiki mug. Garnish with the mint.