- 1 cup beef or lamb stock or canned low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon packed saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean boneless lamb shoulder or leg, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 sage leaf, minced
- 1 small dried red chile
- 1 pound ziti
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, gently warm the beef stock. Add the saffron and let infuse. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the lamb, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring once, until browned, about 5 minutes total.
Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and simmer over moderately high heat until almost evaporated. Add the saffron-infused stock, sage and chile, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes; remove the chile.
Cook the ziti in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente; drain and return to the pot. Add the lamb sauce and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a warmed bowl. Serve, passing the cheese separately.