- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups red Zinfandel wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup black currant preserves
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the chile powder, cumin and garlic and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of the wine and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the mixture is thick, 5 to 6 minutes. Whisk in the water, balsamic vinegar, preserves, brown sugar, tomato paste, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 tablespoon of pepper. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until reduced to 3 cups, about 50 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of wine and simmer over high heat for 5 minutes. Let cool. Scrape the jam into a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate.
The jam can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.