© Susan Spungen
Zesty Braised Chicken with Lemon and Capers
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Sauvignon Blanc adds zip to the lemon-and-caper-infused liquid.
More Chicken Recipes
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs with skin (6 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large peeled garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- Four 1-inch strips of lemon zest
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with flour. In a large ovenproof skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and boil over high heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, lemon zest, thyme, capers and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pan, skin side up. Transfer the skillet to the oven and braise for about 45 minutes, until the meat is tender.
- Return the skillet to the stove and boil until the sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Discard the thyme, bay leaf and lemon zest, if desired, before serving.