Zafra's Salsa Verde
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS
In Chile, salsa verde, or green saucewhich gets its vibrant color from cilantro and fresh chilesis a traditional accompaniment to sea urchins. It also works well with vegetables and chicken and is particularly good with steamed or grilled shrimp.
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice with the onion, cilantro and jalapeño and stir to blend gradually. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until thoroughly combined. Season the salsa verde with salt and pepper and serve.
Make Ahead The salsa can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.