© Daniel Proctor
Yukon Potato and Bacon Tart
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 4 thick bacon slices
- Flaky Tart Pastry
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup (packed) grated Fontina cheese
- 3 Yukon Gold or red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1 large egg yolk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onions and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and blot dry.
- Cook the bacon in the skillet over moderate heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then crumble into small pieces.
- On a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper, roll out the Flaky Tart Pastry to a 13-inch round. Transfer the pastry and parchment to a baking sheet. Spread the onions on the pastry, leaving a 1-inch border. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the cheese and bacon. Arrange the potato slices in a single layer on top and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with the rosemary and drizzle on the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Fold the edge of the pastry over onto the topping and brush the rim with the egg wash.
- Bake the tart for about 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden. Let cool slightly before serving.