© Robert Fisher
Yucca Fries with Banana Ketchup
- ACTIVE: 50 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
Roy Choi spikes regular ketchup with ginger, Thai basil and bananas to make this spiced, fruity condiment. It's excellent with these crispy, starchy fries, though they can be served with plain ketchup instead.
Slideshow: More Recipes for Fries
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 whole pickled jalapeños, stems discarded, plus 2 tablespoon pickling liquid from the jar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup lightly packed Thai basil
- 3 pounds yucca (about 4 yucca)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lime wedges, for serving
- MAKE THE KETCHUP In a medium saucepan, combine the bananas with the vegetable stock, onion, water, pickled jalapeño, garlic and ginger and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring, until the bananas and onion are very tender, 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender and let cool slightly. Add the ketchup, basil and the jalapeño pickling liquid and puree until smooth. Scrape the banana ketchup into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE FRIES Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Peel the yucca and cut into 3-inch lengths. Cut the lengths into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Cook the yucca in the boiling water until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well and spread on a baking sheet to cool and dry; discard any stringy pieces of yucca.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 360°. Set a rack over a baking sheet. Working in batches, fry the yucca, stirring gently to separate the wedges, until golden brown and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the wedges to the rack and season generously with salt. Serve right away with the banana ketchup and lime wedges.
Make Ahead The banana ketchup can be refrigerated for up to 10 days.