- 5 pounds frozen yuca in large pieces
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 slice white country bread, roughly torn
- 3 red bell peppers, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Put the yuca and bay leaf in a large pot and cover with water. Add the 2 tablespoons of salt and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook over moderately low heat until just tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the bread and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the bread to a blender. Add the bell peppers, garlic, oregano, sherry vinegar and sugar and pulse until finely chopped. With the machine on, pour in the remaining olive oil and blend until smooth. Season the pepper sauce with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
- Drain the yuca well and transfer to a large platter. Drizzle with some of the pepper sauce and serve the remaining pepper sauce on the side.
The pepper sauce can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.