- 1 pound young green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 pound medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup brine-cured black olives, such as Calamata, Gaeta or Niçoise, pitted
- 1 medium red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, halved
- 6 large anchovy fillets (see Note)
How to make this recipe
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the green beans and 1 tablespoon of salt and cook until the beans are tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a colander and rinse under cold water. Drain, pat dry and transfer to a large serving bowl.
Return the water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain and shake dry, then add to the beans in the bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the olive oil and gently toss to coat. Scatter the tomatoes, olives and onion slices over the top.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon juice and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Alternate the halved eggs and the anchovies around the edge and serve.
The green bean salad can be made through Step 2 and kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
Salted anchovies taste best in this salad; they are easily cleaned by pulling apart the 2 fillets (discarding the backbone) and rinsing them quickly under running water. If you can't find salted anchovies, look for large, plump fillets packed in olive oil in a jar.
A crisp, refreshing Italian rosé from Tuscany will pull together the salty and tangy flavors in this salad.