- 1 quart plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup canned or jarred brined green peppercorns—rinsed, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds trimmed boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 18 skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt with the green peppercorns, shallots, garlic, lemon juice, sugar and cumin. Stir in the cilantro and mint and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Transfer 1 cup of the yogurt sauce to a bowl; cover and refrigerate. Pour the remaining yogurt sauce into a large, resealable plastic bag. Add the lamb and turn to coat thoroughly. Seal the bag and refrigerate overnight.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Remove the lamb from the marinade and thread the meat onto the skewers. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the lamb over high heat, turning, until charred in spots, about 7 minutes for medium meat. Transfer the skewers to a platter and serve with the reserved yogurt sauce.
Slightly herbal Cabernet Franc from France’s Loire Valley pairs expertly with these herbs and peppercorns.