- 1/2 cup plain whole milk, low-fat or nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 bone-in chicken pieces, with skin (about 2 pounds), either thighs or drumsticks or a mixture
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, turmeric, cardamom, cayenne and salt. Add the chicken pieces and marinate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the chicken over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a work surface and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve the chicken garnished with the cilantro.
The marinated chicken can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours before cooking. Bring to room temperature before grilling.