Yin-Yang Tomato Soup
- SERVINGS: 4
This recipe is made by pairing red and yellow tomato soups, but preparing it with only one type of tomato would also be delicious.
- 2 pounds ripe yellow tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves, plus 4 basil sprigs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds ripe red tomatoes, quartered
- In a food processor or blender, puree the yellow tomatoes with 2 tablespoons of the basil leaves; strain through a coarse sieve. Whisk in 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon of the honey and 1/2 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a pitcher and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Repeat with the red tomatoes and the remaining basil leaves, olive oil, honey and lemon juice.
- Whisk each soup until smooth. At the same time, pour both soups from opposite sides into shallow bowls. Garnish with the basil sprigs and serve.