- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice (see Note) or sweet kosher red wine
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted dates (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup raisins (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup whole almonds (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 large Granny Smith applepeeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large pinches each of freshly ground black pepper, ground cloves, ground cardamom, ground ginger and ground cumin
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, warm the pomegranate juice. Add the dates and raisins and let soak until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Spread the almonds and walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Transfer the nuts to a work surface and let cool, then chop coarsely. Spread the sesame seeds in a pie pan and bake for 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
The haroset can be refrigerated for up to 8 hours.
Pomegranate juice can be mail-ordered from Kalustyan's; 212-685-3451.