- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 8 flatbreads
To create the layered flatbread called mahlouach, Michael Solomonov relies on a technique similar to one used to make puff pastry: He brushes the dough with butter and folds it repeatedly before rolling it out into rounds. To bolster the flavor, he sears the dough in his restaurant's superhot taboon, a wood-burning oven. The bread is also delicious grilled.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Oil, for greasing
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour with the salt. Add the water and lemon juice and stir until a sticky dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth. Transfer the dough to a clean, oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Oil a large, rimmed baking sheet. Turn the dough out onto the sheet and divide it into 8 equal pieces. Press each piece into a 6-inch round that's 1/4 inch thick. Brush the rounds with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter and roll them up into cylinders. Cover the cylinders with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap the dough cylinders and flatten them into rounds again. Brush the rounds with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter; roll them up into cylinders. Wrap the cylinders in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Repeat the flattening, brushing, rolling and chilling one last time.
- Light a grill. Working with one cylinder at a time, unwrap and roll it out as thinly as possible between two sheets of waxed paper to form a round that's approximately 1/16 inch thick.
- Carefully transfer 2 or 3 rounds at a time to the grill. Grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and starting to puff, about 4 minutes. Transfer the flatbreads to foil and keep hot while you grill the rest. Serve hot.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.