- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Oil, for greasing
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the flour with the salt. Add the water and lemon juice and stir until a sticky dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth. Transfer the dough to a clean, oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Oil a large, rimmed baking sheet. Turn the dough out onto the sheet and divide it into 8 equal pieces. Press each piece into a 6-inch round that's 1/4 inch thick. Brush the rounds with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter and roll them up into cylinders. Cover the cylinders with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap the dough cylinders and flatten them into rounds again. Brush the rounds with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter; roll them up into cylinders. Wrap the cylinders in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Repeat the flattening, brushing, rolling and chilling one last time.
- Light a grill. Working with one cylinder at a time, unwrap and roll it out as thinly as possible between two sheets of waxed paper to form a round that's approximately 1/16 inch thick.
- Carefully transfer 2 or 3 rounds at a time to the grill. Grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and starting to puff, about 4 minutes. Transfer the flatbreads to foil and keep hot while you grill the rest. Serve hot.
The dough can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight.