- 2 ounces pancetta, 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 35-ounce can whole peeled Italian tomatoes with juices, crushed by hand
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium yellow squash, julienned on mandoline
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, sauté the diced pancetta over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and the fat rendered, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper and sauté for 5 more minutes, until onions are soft and beginning to brown. Add the canned tomatoes with their juices, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the squash and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add 2 cups of the Amatriciana sauce, toss, and serve.
The Amatriciana sauce can be made up to two days ahead and refrigerated. Reheat the sauce before serving.