Yellow Split Pea Stew with Smoked Turkey
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: F&W's Soups & Stews Guide
More Hearty Stews
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 1 pound smoked-turkey pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 scallionswhite and pale green parts cut into 1/2 inch pieces, green tops thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, split peas, turkey and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peas have dissolved and the stew has thickened, about 1 hour. Discard the bay leaf. Transfer the turkey to a large plate and when cool enough to handle, remove all of the meat and cut it into bite-size pieces. Discard the bones and skin. Add the turkey meat back to the stew.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the scallion pieces, garlic and cumin and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the stew and season with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with sliced scallion tops and serve with hot sauce.
Make AheadThe stew can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat gently.
Serve WithWarm bread.