- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 1 pound smoked-turkey pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 scallionswhite and pale green parts cut into 1/2 inch pieces, green tops thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, split peas, turkey and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peas have dissolved and the stew has thickened, about 1 hour. Discard the bay leaf. Transfer the turkey to a large plate and when cool enough to handle, remove all of the meat and cut it into bite-size pieces. Discard the bones and skin. Add the turkey meat back to the stew.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the scallion pieces, garlic and cumin and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the stew and season with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with sliced scallion tops and serve with hot sauce.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.