Yellow Split Pea Dip
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 4 cups
This hearty and slightly tangy spread, traditionally made with fava beans or yellow split peas, is served as a meze in Greece.
- 1/2 pound yellow split peas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 large basil leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Greek oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Toasted pita triangles, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the split peas with the onion, bay leaf and 4 cups of water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the split peas are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the split peas and discard the bay leaf.
- In a food processor, pulse the sun-dried tomatoes with the vinegar, garlic, shallots, basil, oregano and thyme until minced. Add the split peas. With the machine on, slowly pour in the 1/2 cup of olive oil and process until a smooth paste forms. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the dip to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and serve with toasted pita.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.