Yellow Rice with Raisins
- SERVINGS: 8
This slightly sweet rice pilaf is flavored with citrus zest and spices and tinted yellow with turmeric.
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- One 1-inch piece of tangerine or orange zest, white pith removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (about 2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup raisins (about 3 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water with the rice, cardamom, cinnamon stick, tangerine zest, salt and turmeric. Stir well and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over very low heat until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the raisins and sugar and remove from the heat. Add the rice to the mixture and stir gently to combine. Transfer to a bowl and serve.