- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 red onion, minced (1/3 cup)
- 1/2 tomato, minced (1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup yellow lentils
- 12 ounces soft tofu, cubed
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion, tomato, garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the aromatics are golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lentils and 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently over moderately low heat until the lentils are tender and the dal is thickened, 30 minutes. Fold in the tofu and cook until warmed through. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Creamy, yellow apple-inflected California Chardonnay.