Wok-Seared Scallops with Tangerine Sauce
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 3 tablespoons tangerine juice, plus 1 tablespoon minced tangerine zest
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chile-garlic paste
- 1 large garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon very finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise on the diagonal
- 1 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise on the diagonal
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 4 water chestnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix the cornstarch with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the scallops and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, mix the tangerine juice with the hoisin sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and chile-garlic paste. In another small bowl, combine the tangerine zest with the chopped garlic and ginger.
- In a wok, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over high heat until smoking. Add the scallops in a single layer and cook without stirring until they are golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook until the scallops are firm, about 1 1/2 minutes longer. Transfer the scallops to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil to the wok along with the tangerine zest mixture and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the zucchini, squash, carrot and water chestnuts and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Stir the tangerine sauce and add it to the wok. Cook the sauce until slightly thickened, about 30 seconds. Return the scallops to the wok, stirring just until heated through, and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.