Wok-Charred Squid Salad with Baby Spinach and Cashews
- SERVINGS: 6
Baby spinach offers a cool, smooth contrast to the heat of the chili sauce, the tang of the lime juice and the crispness of the toasted cashews.
- 3/4 pound baby spinach or tatsoi (4 packed cups)
- 2 Belgian endives, separated into spears
- 1 1/2 pounds cleaned small squid, bodies sliced crosswise into 1/3-inch rings
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce or other hot chili sauce
- Vegetable oil, for stir-frying
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Arrange the baby spinach and endive spears in 6 individual salad bowls.
- In a medium bowl, toss the squid with the mint, cilantro, toasted cashews and chili sauce and season with salt.
- Heat a wok or skillet until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and, when it begins to smoke, add one-third of the squid. Stir-fry over high heat for 10 seconds. Deglaze the skillet with 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and spoon the squid into 2 of the bowls. Repeat 2 more times with the remaining squid. Serve the salad at once, with the lime wedges.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.