- 4 sage leaves, plus 1 sprig for garnish
- 1/4 ounce Jalapeño Agave Syrup (see Note)
- 1 1/2 ounce fresh pineapple juice
- 1 ounce verjus (available at specialty food stores)
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Ice cubes, plus crushed ice for serving
- Pinch of Aleppo pepper, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a cocktail shaker, lightly muddle the 4 sage leaves with the Jalapeño Agave Syrup. Add the pineapple juice, verjus, lime juice and salt. Fill the shaker with ice cubes and shake well. Fine-strain into a chilled, crushed ice-filled julep cup and garnish with the sage sprig and Aleppo pepper.
In a heatproof measuring cup, stir 4 ounces agave syrup into 2 ounces hot water until combined. Stir in 1/2 chopped unseeded jalape?o and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain the syrup into a heatproof jar, let cool and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 5 ounces.