Winter Vegetable-Chicken Paella
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 large leek, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 boneless chicken thighs, with skin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 10 ounces chorizo or other spicy cured sausage, cut 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups Spanish Valencia rice
- 3 1/2 cups hot chicken stock
- One 14 1/2-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 pound Swiss chard, stems discarded, leaves coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Brush the leek with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and arrange on 1 side of a large baking sheet, cut side down. On the other side, toss the squash with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes, or until golden and just tender. Cut the leek into 1-inch lengths.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 14- to 16-inch paella pan or skillet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper; cook over moderate heat until golden, 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the onion and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan; cook over low heat until softened. Add the chorizo, saffron and cayenne; cook over moderately high heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the rice and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the stock, tomatoes, chard, leek and squash.
- Nestle the chicken into the rice, skin side up. Simmer the paella over low heat for 5 minutes. Transfer to a 350° oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the stock is absorbed, the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the oven and cover with a towel; let stand for 10 minutes. Serve at once.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.